Monday 18 June 2012

Traditional Paint Recipe

Inspired by some traditional Swedish bowls I decided to give my recent turnings a lick of paint. Jarrod StoneDahl uses milk paint on his bowls and my original plan was to do the same, but the recipe that i found on the net uses Borax and i couldn't manage to get hold of any. Then i remembered a post by Robin Wood in which he gives a recipe for paint using linseed oil. Credit goes to Robin for this recipe:
Crack one egg into a jar, put the lid on and shake it up. Then add four half egg shells of raw linseed oil and again shake it up. Then add six half eggshells of water and give it another shake. Robin and Jarrod both use natural pigments in their paint, but unfortunately I didn't have any, so I used acrylic paint  to add colour. I was really pleased with the paint and it seems to have a bit of a life of its own, giving quite an uneven finish in places, but this just adds to the charm.


Thanks to Robin Wood for the recipe. I'm looking forward to experimenting some more with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment