Sunday 10 February 2013

It started with a knife



Making a knife is probably what first got me into making stuff. It began with an interest in camping and bushcraft, which led me to make my own knife. I got the bug and made several different knives, mostly of the stick tang, scandinavian type. Then I needed something to do with these knives that went beyond  making feather sticks and tent pegs, so I got into carving. That opened me up to craft in general.

I haven't made a knife for a while now and even though this is my most recent one, it's actually about two years old, it's just that it's taken me that long to get around to making a sheath. It's a bit of a special one as it's the first time i actually made the blade myself. The blade started off as my lawnmower blade and when the mower packed in i decided to have a play about and do some recycling. All the other materials were sort of recycled too, and to be honest I kind of rushed it as it was more of an experiment.

I'm really pleased with the result though, especially the oak burr handle, which is absolutely beautiful (the photo doesn't do it justice, but it was the best I could do with so little light). I've recently helped a friend to make a knife and sheath so I've got the bug again and might make a few more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment