Sunday 30 March 2014

Bowl no.13


This week's bowl includes two things I've wanted to try for some time. I've seen chip carving done on bowls before and like the style. I don't like it when it's too fancy, but I think a simple chip carved decoration can have a bit of a pre 20th century scandinavian look (I might be making that up, but it's what I think of).



The other thing that I thought I'd have a go at is a medieval style repair. I'd seen pictures of bowls that had been repaired in Robin Wood's book 'The Wooden Bowl', and I really like the effect. I know that it's a bit strange as it's essentially a fault, but when I noticed a little crack in the end grain I decided to have a go at patching it up.



I love the way that the bowl has distorted as it's dried. With opposing peaks, it almost looks like a carved bowl. I'm not so happy with the paint job. There's a massive difference in the way the paint has taken on the end grain compared to the side grain, but I hope that it will get better with age.


No comments:

Post a Comment