Sunday 6 July 2014

Wobbly bowl


So I turned this bowl just over a week ago out of some Eucalyptus that was given to me by my mate Nick. I've never worked with this wood before and was definitely pleased with how it turned.


I left it to dry slowly in a box of shavings. This prevents it from drying too rapidly and cracking. However, when I went back to it today I found that it had distorted more than any bowl I have turned before.

I'm used to a bit of movement and I think it's one of the characteristics that is really quite charming with greenwood working, you do the initial shaping and then Mother Nature and Father Time do a bit of tweaking, but this is a bit severe and I don't think it's finished. Nick actually warned me that a piece that he had half turned did the same thing, but I just put that down to the thickness of the bowl, obviously it has to do with the wood.


The pictures don't really do it justice. You can kind of see on the right side of this picture that the rim has distorted so much in places that it has a kink in it.
I don't think I'll be trying Eucalyptus again.

No comments:

Post a Comment