Sunday 23 November 2014

Spooncarving Course

It's been a while since I posted on here, so I thought I'd put some pics up of a spoon carving course we did recently. I'm not sure who the first person to say this was (I think it might have been Barn Carder), but I've heard someone refer to spoon carving  as the gateway drug of greenwood working. That's certainly how it was for me and it's exciting to think that we're introducing people to this kind of  thing.
Dave getting used to the axe
Our students for the day were David and Jane, a great couple that picked things up very quickly. It was particularly satisfying watching them gain confidence with the axe as they were both a little bit cautious at first (understandably).
Richard helping Jane with some of the knife grasps
The weather was terrible so we took over Richard's kitchen for the day. This meant that we could smell the lovely sausage and lentil lunch that Richard had made for us mixed in with the smell of the green wood.
Pointing out some of the elements of spoon design
Jane is an illustrator and has recently been working on a couple of books by Ben Law. I loved the drawings that she made to accompany her notes.



Time flew by and it was a bit of a rush towards the end, but they both managed to finish their spoons and also took some wood with them to complete the set.



No comments:

Post a Comment